The Ferrari 250 GT Coupé represented a series of road-going, grand touring cars produced by Ferrari between 1954 and 1960. Presented at the 1954 Paris Motor Show, the 250 Europa GT was the first in the GT-lineage. The design by Pinin Farina was seen as a more civilised version of their sporty Berlinetta 250 MM. Series built cars were an answer to the wealthy clientele demands of a sporty and luxurious Ferrari Gran Turismo, that is also easier to use daily.
Common among all the 250 GT cars was the 3.0-litre Colombo V12 engine and the fact that all were two-seaters. The predecessor to the series was the Lampredi-engined 250 Europa, built in very limited numbers.
The Europa GT was soon followed by the Pinin Farina-designed 250 GT Coupé. As the Carrozzeria Pinin Farina’s production capacities were being expanded at that time, the cars were initially bodied at the Carrozzeria Boano, then the Carrozzeria Ellena. After the body production was carried over to Pinin Farina, Ferrari could produce the Coupé in greater numbers than before. This series of models marked the production process transition from hand-crafted to semi-series production
Get the latest auctions and market info delivered right to your inbox, plus a heads up on exclusive content from Harry.