1970 Chevy El Camino, SS 396, Concours Custom!
This is a spectacular rotisserie restoration of a SS 396 El Camino. This restoration was done with no expense spared and would cost at least $150,000 to have built. The craftsmanship is as good as we have ever seen- there were no corners cut during the building of this El Camino.
This motorcar was not just built, it was engineered. Many customs don’t drive well and have numerous challenges afterwards that never get sorted. The engineer and owner, Alan Hodges, is a perfectionist and an absolute engineer. He made sure that everything was done to ensure perfect performance and drive ability first and foremost.
With 340 HP to the rear wheels this non-matching numbers 396 performs brilliantly. During the test drive Mr. Hodges took the El Camino at speed through a tight corner and there was no body roll, at all. It reminded us more of driving a Porsche 911!
More details include the following:
1970 SS EL CAMINO 396 (NOT A CLONE)
ENGINE AND RUNNING GEAR:
- 396 DYNO’D AT 340 HP TO REAR WHEELS
- ROLLER ROCKER AND CAM.
- STUD GERTEL.
- 7 QUART MILODON OIL PAN.
- CAST IRON HEADS WITH 219 INTAKES PORTED AND POLISHED.
- DUEL 600 EDLEBROCK CARBS. ON ALUMINIUM INTAKE.
- BEE COOL RADIATOR.
- MSD IGNITION.
- PATRIOT HEADERS CUSTOM 3’ STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST ALL JET COATED.
- 12 BOLT POSI REAR END POWDER COATED WITH CURRIE ALUMINIUM COVER CAP STABLIZER.
- BILLET SPECIALTIES PULLY SYSTEMS.
- OIL-RED LINE.
- RICHMOND 6 SPEED.
- G FORCE CLUTCH.
- ALL STOCK WITH BUCKET SEATS.
- NEW GAUGE CLUSTER.
- NEW DOOR PANELS – ELECTRIC WINDOWS AND WINDWINGS.
- KENWOOD SOUND SYSTEM WITH AMP AND SUB WOOFER.
FRAME AND SUSPENSION:
- STOCK FRAME – POWDER COATED.
- COMPLETE FRONT AND REAR GLOBAL WEST SUSPENSION WITH QA 1 ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS.
- TUBULAR A ARMS WITH ALL NEW PARTS UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS.
- EVERYTHING BUSHING, NUT AND BOLT NEW
- 3.5 RATIO STEERING BOX NEW
- WHILWOOD BRAKES AND ROTORS.
- ABS ELECTIC BRAKE BOOSTERS.
- ROTISARY RESTORATION.
- ALL NEW GLASS, POWER WINDOWS AND WINDWINGS.
- ALL NEW WEATHER STRIPPING RUBBER.
- NEW BUMPERS.
- NEW LIGHTS.
- TRIM HAS BEEN RESTORED OR REPLACED NEW.
- ALL BODY BOLTS AND MOUNTING RUBBER NEW.
- PAINT, BASE COAT, CLEAR COAT BY PPG
- VINTAGE AIR
- NEW FUEL TANK
- FRONT: 17 X 8 FOOSE NITROUS WITH NEXEN AV3000 235/40/17
- REAR: 18 X 8.5 FOOSE NITROUS WITH NEXXEN AV3000 245/45/18
THIS CAR WAS BUILT OVER A PERIOD OF ABOUT 20 MONTHS. MR. HODGES WANTED TO KEEP THE SS AS A STOCK UPDATED OR RESTO MOD. THERE AE A FEW CUSTOM PARTS HE MADE MYSELF BUT FOR THE MOST PART THE CAR HAS A STOCK LOOK. THERE ARE NO RUBBER HOSES ON THE CAR WHATSOEVER. ALL LINES ARE STAINLESS OR BRAIDED. ALL FITTINGS ARE A.N. RIGHT DOWN TO THE RADIATOR, EVEN THE BATTERY CABLES ARE MADE OF A HIGH QUALITY STEREO 1 GAGE CABLE. HE DID NOT REUSE ANY OLD HARWARE, ALL NUTS AND BOLTS ARE NEW AND 90% STAINLESS OR CHROME. INCLUDED IS A PHOTO GALLERY OF COMPLETE RESTORATION.
For questions please call Harry at 602.245.7200 or email us at email@example.com.