1958 Airstream Flying Cloud (22′), Original, Show Stopper!!
This Airstream is a documented two-owner, fully restored, all-original Flying Cloud that is likely one of the more important Airstreams in existence. All of the fixtures, appliances, switches, wheels, windows, screens, etc. are original and everything has been cleaned, polished or prepared for both show and use. In excess of 300 hours have been invested to make this one of the nicest original Airstreams available. We used an automotive restoration shop that has prepared a few cars for us for the Pebble Beach Concours, plus an RV specialist and two automotive upholstery shops. No expense was spared in its restoration. We call her “Lucy”.
Lucy is a particularly important model (Serial Number 8493 and WBCCI 2210) as she has more options than anyone in the Airstream Clubs as well as businesses have ever seen before. It is loaded with options, including options that weren’t on the options specification list for Airstream (not uncommon as they were essentially custom ordered in the 1950’s).
Some of the options (some standard) include:
- Original Duo-Therm Air-conditioning
- Heating for front and rear
- Water filter system
- Carpeted from new
- Storage tubes under for storing the awnings, hoses, etc.
- Indoor shower and toilet
- Four burner stove-top and oven
- Fold down bed in front for two plus bed for two in rear
- Door within a door entry with original handle and screens
- Coronado light on all four sides (non-original clear lenses)
- Original No. 9 tail lights
- Two power lugs to enable daisy chain for Caravans
- AC/DC Converter
- AC and DC lighting throughout
- Spare wheel in rear with covered Continental Kit
- Expanded rear bumper
- Emergency break-away braking
- Extra power outlets throughout
- TV Antenna or flag holder
- Power ventilated fans in ceiling and wall
- All new upholstery and Curtains
- Full Awning
- Solar panel for battery recharge (new option)
Lucy was purchased new by Harold and Myrtle Clifton in Borger, Texas. Mr. Clifton, we assume, was a VIP for Airstream as the list of options was unheard of for these vintage caravans. The Airstream was assigned WBCCI No. 2210 in 1958, just after its purchase. The Clifton’s enjoyed Lucy for the next 12 years.
Lucy was then bought by Ms. Lina Castillo of New Mexico in 1970. Lina enjoyed camping with her family once or twice a year in the gorgeous New Mexico area. In about 1985 they used Lucy to live in while they built their beautiful adobe home about 30 miles South of Albuquerque, New Mexico. After that they carefully stored her until they sold her to us earlier this year.
Because the owners each owned it for such a long time it was always loved and well cared for. That is why we were able to keep her original and yet make her an absolute show stopper. We fully documented the restoration with several video and hundreds of photos and receipts.
The 1958 Airstream Flying Cloud International is 22 feet in length (2,800 lbs and 280 lbs tongue weight) and is the first Airstream to be self contained (grey/black water and fresh water tanks, etc.).
For its unveiling we took it to the La Jolla Motor Car Classic where it was truly the hit of the show. The interior is gorgeous.
As you can tell, we are very excited about it. We believe that “Lucy” will be considered one of the more important classic Airstreams of all time.